Useful Information

Health Insurance

If you are a European Union (EU) Citizen, you can use the National Health services (public hospitals) by showing a valid European Health Insurance Card. You will be charged the same fee as a Portuguese citizen.

If you are a Non-European Union (Non-EU) Citizen, valid International Insurance is necessary. You should check with the service provider which Health units you can use during your stay. However, as a norm, you should always check what coverage your national health insurance provider gives you.

Visa and Residence Permit

European Union (EU) Citizens: you need to travel with a valid National Identity Card or a valid Passport and the European Health Insurance Card.

Non-European (Non-EU) Citizens
For stays longer than three months and up to one year, non-EU students need to apply for a Student Visa in their home country or country of residence before entry into Portugal. A Student Visa may take up to 2-3 months to be completed. While staying in our country students will be required to renew their Student Visas.
For stays longer than one year, non-EU students need a Residence Permit. To apply for a Residence Permit, students need to have completed and entered a Resident Visa into their passport before entry into Portugal. You can apply for the Resident Visa at a Portuguese embassy or a Portuguese consulate in your home country or your country of residence. Residence Permits take between 3 weeks to a month to be issued by our authorities.

The authority in Portugal responsible for these issues is the Foreigners and Borders Service (Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras). 

Depending on your nationality, duration of your stay, and the type of service you are applying for, some or all of the following standard documents may be required:

  • Passport valid for 3 months after your date of return and with at least one blank visa;
  • Completed SEF application form;
  • Two-color passport-size photographs;
  • Copy of itinerary with confirmed reservation or Acceptance Letter issued by your Faculty;
  • Proof of departure arrangements;
  • Proof of sufficient means of support;
  • Proof of health insurance coverage;
  • Portuguese Criminal Record;
  • Address Confirmation;
  • Proof that you have no debts at Universidade Católica Portuguesa.

Useful links:

Immigration Portal
Foreign and Borders Services
Consular Affairs & Portuguese Communities

Portuguese Communities Portal – Visa

Student Visa Renewal

  1. Where can I do it?
    1. At SEF branches, by booking in advance
  2. When should I apply?
    1. One month before the expiry date
  3. How long is it valid for?
    1. Up to a maximum of 90 days, renewable for an equal period of time.
    2. Visa renewal is only valid in Portuguese territory
  4. How long does it take?
    1. Visa renewal is immediate, upon the delivery of the application to SEF (as a rule).
  5. What do I need to apply?
    1. Scheduling in Advance;
    2. 2 Identical photographs, in color, with a plain background, updated and easily identifiable;
    3. Passport or any other travel document, which shall not expire for at least 3 months after the scheduled departure date, with two consecutive blank pages
    4. Evidence that the applicant has subsistence means of 400 Euros per month (cash; credit card together with bank statement indicating daily withdrawal limits; up-to-date statement of bank account balance);
    5. Evidence of accommodation (rental contract or declaration from the Junta de Freguesia);
    6. Your Faculty’s Acceptance Letter;
    7. Completed SEF application form;
    8. Proof of departure arrangements
    9. Proof of international health insurance coverage;
    10. Portuguese Criminal Record 
    11. Proof that you have no debts at UCP (Request for this declaration at our ‘Treasury Office’)

If you require more information please check SEF’s website

Portugal offers a wide range of accommodation for students, from university residences to apartments and rooms at reasonable prices. 

University residences: