Strategy and Guidelines
Unlocking Borders into the Future
Universidade Católica Portuguesa (UCP) is a Research University characterised by a humanist vision committed to contribute to knowledge and to the well-being of society. It is a national university with 4 regional campy (Lisbon, Oporto, Braga, and Viseu) and strong inter-sectoral ties to the surrounding regions aligned with regional and national smart development strategies.
In addition to the commitment to Fundamental Research, the University is recognised for the social impact of its research agenda and for its contribution to the formulation of policy, aligned with the UN's sustainable development goals. In line with the University’s Research Strategy UCP2020, UCP wishes to foster interdisciplinary and Transversal Research, and therefore preferentially develops work across disciplines to address complex social challenges.
UCP is committed to foster a supportive and productive Research environment anchored in diversity and equality. The University is likewise committed to offering ample opportunities that involve all scholars regardless of their nationality, ethnicity, class, or gender. For the past 50 years Católica has worked to promote valuable research in different domains and disciplines, establishing itself at the forefront of scientific and technological progress, and has sought to build an academic community rooted in the principles of truth and respect for human dignity and diversity. Through its research and higher level training activities, UCP produces knowledge as well as skilled professionals who are able to interact with and respond to the multifaceted issues of our global world.
As a Research University, Católica is compelled to define its action and Guiding Principles as based on the understanding of:
- Research as the basis for teaching and community service;
- Comprehensive internationalisation as the institutional commitment to bring international diversity into research, teaching, and into every level of the organisational structure;
- Smart specialisation drawn from a careful analysis of the University’s scientific and educational strengths, thus enabling a boost in the excellence of our projects.
The Strategic Plan is set on the development of:
- Strategic alliances with reputable Universities because the excellence of our training requires a dialogue with like-minded institutions, sharing the same culture and aiming high in the pursuit of excellence;
- Strategic partnerships with stakeholders in civil society, namely companies, thus building bridges with the professional world and bridging gaps which are, under the current conditions, decisive for research training.